This is a definite family favorite – creamy chicken cooked in the crockpot. Just add rice and done! Or add more toppings for Hawaiian Haystacks, which is a Utah classic.
You know I love my crockpot. Easy meals that you can dump and pretty much hours later have a great meal. All you need to add is a vegetable or salad.
Because this is such an easy meal – I make sure to have all the ingredients on hand. The chicken – is kept in the freezer in 1-2 breast portions. Italian Seasoning mix – I buy several and keep them with our spices. The rice and cream of chicken cans are in the pantry. And I always make sure to have 2-3 bars of cream cheese in the refrigerator – those will last several months! This way, if I ever need a meal that is easy to put together and no work near dinner time – this one is ready to go!
If you are wondering what Hawaiian Haystacks are, just call it a weird Utah thing. But really, it is quite good. After your chicken is on your rice – add some fun toppings such as Chinese noodles, pineapple, shredded coconut, peanuts, slivered almonds, green onions, diced green peppers, etc.
Chicken & Rice
- 1-2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 package dry Italian dressing mix or 1 c Italian dressing
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- ¼ cup butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup water
- White rice cooked
- Spray crockpot and add chicken into the crockpot with butter.
- Mix cream of chicken soup, Italian dressing mix and 1 cup water; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- An hour before serving add thawed cream cheese (cut in pieces).
- Shred the chicken. Serve over rice. Enjoy!